- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla strips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through. Allow the chicken to cool, and then shred it into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, and red bell pepper, and saute for 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Add diced tomatoes, black beans, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and lime juice to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Serve soup hot, topped with diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!